The cost of negligence will depend on the size of the risk. Professional people – from lawyers and doctors through to web designers are especially advised to have the appropriate cover in place, as they provide professional advice and services.
Driving instructors also provide professional advice to their pupils, advising on such matters as road safety and coaching them to pass their DVSA driving test.
A couple of examples will give you some idea of the day-to-day risks you can run, and the ways in which Professional Indemnity insurance can help:
- Providing incorrect advice around the process of applying / sitting a driving examination
- Incorrectly processing such an application for a Pupil
- Defamation against another driver trainer and/or driver training school
- Innocently misrepresenting pass rates, misleading or deceptive advertising
- Claims arising from incorrect off road assessment
- Claims arising from breaches of the rules governing your appointment as a driving instructor or assessor
- If a lorry driver lost his licence as a result of incorrect training, a financial loss may arise from the impact this has on his/her business
- In respect of loss of documents, losing details of pupils or any other client documents in your care
- Recently a company was found at fault for disclosing confidential customer information to a third party. The Professional Indemnity claim was for £35,000 including costs