We use cookies to give you the best possible service on our website. If you continue, we'll assume you're happy for your web browser to receive all cookies from our website. See our cookie policy for more information on cookies and how to manage them.

Driving Instructor Insurance

As the UK’s largest provider of driving instructor insurance, our award winning service provides access to a panel of 6 insurance providers

We can include protection for dual control replacement cars, comprehensive cover and off-road tuition cover.
Providing specialist driving instructor insurance to Approved Driving Instructors (ADIs), Potential Driving Instructors (PDIs), driving schools, commercial tuition fleets and dual control contract hire vehicle operators.
We also now provide tuition insurance for HGV Trainers, Minibus Trainers, Trailer Training, Category H Tuition, and Forklift Trucks in addition to mixed commercial vehicle training fleets.

Winners of the UK's Favourite Driving Instructor Service Provider for 2014 & 2015, and the DIA Trainer Car Insurance Provider 2016

The awards were hosted by the Fresh Golden L Awards and the DIA (Driving Instructors Association) and voted for by over 10,000 driving instructors.

Waveney Group Schemes is part of the Towergate Group which is one of the largest insurance brokers in the UK and provides specialist driving instructor insurance for ADIs and PDIs. In addition, Waveney also arranges dual controlled driving school motor fleet insurance, dual controlled contract hire and dual control car leasing insurance for companies operating 10 or more dual controlled cars.

Just some of our cover benefits

Any Driver Cover

It is essential for your policy to be issued on an any driver basis as this allows you to teach any licensed driver on the road, irrespective of previous driving experience or other risk factors. This also allows the examiner to drive, if required, as you will not be able to provide pupil details to your insurer prior to them taking their test.

Replacement Dual Control Vehicle

Most standard car insurance products will only offer you a non-dual controlled car in the event of a non-fault incident meaning you’re unable to continue working. At Towergate, the policies we provide can supply you with a guaranteed dual control replacement car within 24 hours to enable you continue teaching and sit any pre-booked driving tests.

Negligent Tuition Cover

This liability cover protects you and your business against a claim brought against you due to an injury suffered by your pupil through some negligence on your behalf. We also extend this cover to protect any other instructor to whom you have provided a vehicle which is insured under your policy.

Driving Off Road Driver Aged 14+

Some driving instructor insurance policies provide extended cover to allow you to teach off road, pupils who are aged 14 or over. This cover is only provided where it can be evidenced that the land you’re using the vehicle on does not form part of the Road Traffic Act 1988, meaning it is not a restricted byway.

Driving Instructor Insurance FAQs

Which insurers do you use?

We use a panel of insurance companies and Lloyds Syndicates which includes the following: Royal & Sun Alliance, Aviva, Zenith Marque, Equity Red Star, KGM, Ageas, Zurich, Bishopsgate and LV.

Do you provide a dual control replacement vehicle for fault claims?

MSL provide a replacement dual control car following an accident (whether your fault or otherwise), fire, theft and malicious damage for an unlimited period - subject to payment of an additional premium for this cover.

Do you provide cover for the DSA Part 2, DSA Part 3 and the ADI Check Test?

Yes our insurers provide comprehensive cover for the DSA Part 2, DSA Part 3 and the ADI check test If you hold an annual policy with us. If you do not currently hold an annual policy with us, we can provide appropriate cover for the duration of the test.

Can I add a driver aged under 25 for social domestic and pleasure?

Our insurers do not provide any cover for additional drivers under 25 years of age for social domestic and pleasure purposes under individual driving instructor insurance policies.

I have other tuition vehicles; can these be covered on a single policy?

If you have between 1 and 4 vehicles, these will need to be insured on separately. If you have 5 or more vehicles we may be able to offer you fleet insurance for your driving school.

Do you offer individual driving instructor insurance policies for a 2 year period?

No, we do not offer single vehicle insurance policies for periods longer than 12 months as we wish to re-assess your demands and needs each year to make certain we are providing the most suitable policy and take into account any discounts we have negotiated during the year to provide you with our most competitive premium.

Do you offer cover for advanced driving i.e. fleet driver development and trailer training?

Yes, we offer a range of additional covers and benefits which include (for an additional premium) the ability to provide fleet driver development cover for trailers as well as driving other cars on a Comprehensive basis for use during fleet driver development training.

Where can I find more information about monthly Direct Debit?

If you want to know more about our monthly payment option, please give us a call so we can discuss your individual circumstances.

Can I add driving instructor professional Indemnity and Public Liability to my policy?

Yes you can opt in to taking an additional policy with your driving instructor car insurance policy which will cover £5 Million Public Liability and £10 Million Professional Indemnity. We can also take out separate policies for large groups. Please see our page for further details.